Logo Design General Questionnaire
By Jamie Kadavy | Nov 10, 2015
At 92 West, when we take on a new client (or even an existing one), we have a general questionnaire that we walk each client through to help us acquire the essential information to get our team on the right track. The questions below help us craft the appropriate approach to layout / design / complete a client’s vision; which helps us build long lasting relationships.
Corporate / Company Related Details
The questions below incorporate the information that you’ll need to understand the basics of their industry and the core reasons for the project.
- What is the background / history of the company?
(If new, why was your firm founded and what is the motivation behind the creation of the business?)
- How would you describe your services and/or products?
- Why should a customer choose your firm over another?
- What are the long term goals of your company?
- Who are your main competitors?
When designing a logo, you are not simply developing a logo… more over you are creating an identity that will extend into a company’s branding.
- What adjectives should describe your business? Why?
- If your customers had to describe your company in one word, what would it be? Why?
- Do you have a current identity / logo?
(If yes, then what elements, if any, would you like to retain? Also, ask why a change is needed.)
- Does your company have a tagline or slogan that should be in consideration as a design element?
(The answer should be yes… if they don’t have one, I’d recommend having them come up with a three (3) to seven (7) word statement that correlates with their adjectives.)
- What font type preference (serif or sans-serif, script, bold, light, hand drawn, custom lettering), specific fonts, and colors would you like to use (or currently use.). Also, what font types, specific fonts or colors do you not want to use?
Project Related: Design
- Where will the logo be primarily used?
(Building Signage, Stationary, Business Cards, Vehicles, Website, Social Media etc.)
- Do you have any specific imagery in mind for your logo?
(icon, illustration, character, text, a mix etc.)
- What logos do you like? Why?
- What logos do you dislike? Why?
- (Please note that sometimes a client will love a logo and use that as a reference while it also contains elements of logos they dislike… explore it further if this happens.)
- What is the exact wording you would like to use in the logo?
Project Related: Demographics
- Demographics are key factors in deciding what and who you are design the logo for. Focus on what appeals to the audience that is most likely to be interested in what the client is selling / producing.
- Who is your perfect client?
(Everybody is not the answer… Look for age, race, sex, income, location, interests, job… look for their niche.)
- Who currently uses your product(s) or competitors product(s)?
- Are the customers you want today the customers you’ll want in 5 to 10 years?
Budget and Delivery Timing
Not all designs take the same time to deliver and dealing with an individual vs. decision by committee can greatly influence how much time it will take to bring the project to a finished state. Typically, by the time we have a client in our office and we’ve discussed the budget and it’s a known variable… but if you don’t know… find out.
- Budget for the logo?
(The budget will dictate what you can do… once you know that you can give a range of concepts, logo type (remember illustrations take a bit of time), revisions and when the finished design / corresponding branding guide will be delivered.)
- When do you need the final version(s)?
(Sometimes the process only takes a few days and others require multiple meetings. Budget and schedule according to the client’s needs… most importantly… keep the schedule. If the client gets off track then you have to let them know if it influences delivery… likewise… if items are out-of-scope… you need to let them know. In the end, great communication will define how the project goes.)
Need a logo design or brand refresh? 92 West can help!
At 92 West, we do more than just deliver the logo; we deliver a solid start to a brand and can help any client develop that brand into a winning component of their marketing strategy. Be it graphic design, printing, media placement, digital marketing, web design, seo or sem… we have you covered.
92 West | Branding, Digital Marketing, Web Design and SEO